I am still accepting books for review but on a VERY limited basis. If you are interested in my reviewing your book please check out my review policy and feel free to contact me at

Thursday, June 16, 2011

Booking Through Thursday: Interactive edition

Booking Through Thursday is a weekly meme about (mostly) books and reading. This weeks question is: With the advent (and growing popularity) of eBooks, I’m seeing more and more articles about how much “better” they can be, because they have the option to be interactive … videos, music, glossaries … all sorts of little extra goodies to help “enhance” your reading experience, rather like listening to the Director’s commentary on a DVD of your favorite movie.
How do you feel about that possibility? Does it excite you in a cutting-edge kind of way? Or does it chill you to the bone because that’s not what reading is ABOUT?

Personally, I like the idea of all of these possibilities.  I have an ereader, the first "generation" of the Barnes and Noble Nook and of all the books that I have on there I really enjoy the "bonus" features that come with e-reader ownership. I think with future releases and technological advances I think that I'll be ok with all the nifty cool extras just as long as they are exactly that...EXTRA.  I could very easily be turned off to the whole eBook phenomenon if the extras become TOO much of a distraction.  I'm hoping that if this is the way things are going to go in the future the creators won't get too crazy. 

Extras are good but TOO much interactiveness is a major :(


iwriteinbooks said...

I like that you're in support of extras but still wary of too much.

Amy said...

Good answer! :)

Lisa (Lisa's World of Books) said...

Distraction is a great way to word this!

My Answer

A Kwee Life said...

Perfect! You said it best, "as long as they are extras."

Gina Hott said...

I love eBooks. I love being able to toss 1 item in my purse & be able to do everything on it. That being said. I want my book to be a book. I don't want the text read to me - if i did i'd have gotten an audiobook. I don't want it to play videos - if I did I'd visit youtube. I don't want interviews with the authors or characters - if I did I'd visit the author's site. Nope. When I'm reading I just want to read.

The only thing I think may be cool about this would be the 'choose your own adventure books'. I loved those and think that they could be cool with the new features.

Thanks for visiting. I love making new friends!

Elena said...

You've summed things up very well for what I said too. Although, interviews with the author added at the end of a book would be rather neat.

My response: